Data Science Manager - DiscordView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Data Science Manager
- Job Location
- San Francisco, CA or Remote (U.S.)
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
People love Discord because it connects them with people they care about - friends, family, and communities with shared interests. Tens of millions of users use our world-class audio/video calling, text chat, and collaborative functionality like streaming to communicate every day.
On the Premium Products team, we’ve set out to prove that bringing value to users is a robust and highly profitable business model, which is different from many other ad-funded social networks. To do this, we’re focused on improving our Nitro subscription service which let’s power users do more of the things they love on Discord– from streaming their games in HD to spicing up their profiles. As a leader in this team you’ll share the responsibility of innovating on fun and delightful features, as well as growing our Nitro subscribers.
As a Data Science Manager, you will partner closely with cross-functional partners like product managers and engineers to leverage analytics, machine learning, and causal inference to guide development of innovative product features and ensure that Discord is the best service it can be. Check out our blog about how our team informs strategy & innovation at Discord here!
What You'll Be Doing
- Partner closely with product, engineering, and business teams to build our strategic roadmap, proactively identify opportunities for improvement, understand our ecosystem, and build robust scalable tools to empower decision-making at all levels of the company
- Create novel and interpretable metrics to provide insight into the health of the Discord app and use analytics, modeling, and experimentation to understand their impact on business goals
- Transform data into information - establish hypotheses, dig deep, and seek to understand root causes - to improve the effectiveness of our marketing efforts
- Own the vision and roadmap for a Data Science team, supporting a key pillar of Discord's mission
- Build and mentor a world-class analytics team, expanding the impact of data at Discord
- In partnership with our Data leaders, inform architectural decisions, establish best practices, develop lean scalable processes, and contribute to the overall direction of the Data organization at Discord!
You Will Thrive In This Role If
- 3+ years of leadership experience as a people manager, leading a team of 3+ data scientists. Ideally, your team would have had technical expertise covering at least two of the following: BI & analytics, machine learning, and A/B experimentation
- Excellent skills in communicating to both technical and non-technical audiences, with an ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways
- 6+ years of industry experience in applying machine learning and/or analytics techniques to answer vague and challenging business problems
- Proficient in Python/R or SQL (any dialect) for hands-on modeling and/or analysis
- Familiarity with A/B testing principles
- A collaborative attitude and natural curiosity
- Experience with social media or within digital consumer products
- Proficient in modern BI tooling (Looker, Chartio, Tableau, etc.), with an eye towards clear, rich visualizations and performance
- Experience partnering with business teams in a data-driven culture
- Passion for Discord or online communities
- Experience with very large data sets and distributed computing
- Familiarity with Airflow, GCP, BigQuery
(New York City only*) Minimum salary of $192,000/year + equity and benefits Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $153,600 /year + equity and benefits *Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Discord Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Discord Company Size
Between 1,000 - 5,000 employees
Discord Founded Year
Discord Funding Rounds