Data Platform Engineer - Abl SchoolsView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Data Platform Engineer
- Job Location
- Remote, US
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Abl believes every student deserves the opportunity to maximize their potential by making informed and meaningful choices about their lives and futures. Unfortunately, many students aren’t given the same opportunities due to systemic inequities perpetuated by outdated, unresponsive systems. Abl offers advanced, data-driven software and services to help K12 school and district leaders identify and remove those barriers to equity. The Abl team is made up of education leaders and experts working together with engineers, designers, and data scientists to build the tools schools districts need to shape pathways for each student to achieve success.
We are looking to add a talented Data Platform Engineer to build critical infrastructure to make data useful and empower data scientists to directly impact and iterate on our customer-facing products. As Abl’s first data platform engineer, you will collaborate with data scientists and engineers to design, scope, and build a suite of tools to scalably leverage high impact data in customer facing applications and internal analysis, often in cross-collaboration with other departments. As a part of the Data Science team, you will report directly to the Head of Data Science.
Note to Candidates: Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they check all the boxes listed in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
In this role you will
- Collaboratively drive the technical vision for the Abl data science platform, a suite of tools that enables us to leverage our exceptional data to drive equitable student impact through insights and recommendations.
- Design, build, and scale data warehouse infrastructure (e.g. Postgres, Snowflake), tools for workflow execution (e.g. Airflow, Prefect), and tools to enable recommendation algorithms.
- Support data scientists in building scalable and efficient data pipelines (i.e. ETL). While we believe that data scientists should own the pipelines for their own analyses and feature transformations, you would maintain core data pipelines that bridge application/OLTP and analytics/OLAP data.
- Collaboratively define processes that promote clear team and individual responsibilities and reduce hand-offs.
Ideal candidate has
- At least 3 years of experience enabling the transformation of application/OLTP data to analytics/OLAP data: you have worked on infrastructure that includes databases (e.g. Postgres, Snowflake), workflow management (e.g. Airflow, Prefect), containerization (e.g. Docker), and ETL/ELT pipelines (e.g. SQL, dbt), at multiple orders of magnitude of data scale.
- Directly contributed to and/or managed ETL/ELT data transformation pipelines and have experience with analytical data modeling tradeoffs.
- Experience defining a vision in collaboration with data scientists and engineers, and delivering iterative solutions that grow data capabilities over time.
- Effectively communicates opinions to peers with expertise, humility, and kindness and welcomes feedback.
Bonus points if
- You have experience in the education domain.
- You have experience building tools to serve machine learning predictions in real-time.
- You have experience working at a remote tech startup.
What we offer
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible PTO for our employees to use as needed
- Stock option plan to give our employees a direct stake in Abl's success
- Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental, vision) subsidized up-to 100%
- Remote first company with in-person events throughout the year
- Generous Parental Leave and Adoption Assistance for your growing families
- Pre-tax benefits including 401k, FSA, and HSA with $1000 towards the account
- Learning & Development opportunities and reimbursements for further professional training
Abl employees share a passion for revolutionizing education through school design, whether or not they have prior experience working in the field. We value diversity of background and thought. We strive to create a safe and supportive environment where trust, communication, creativity, and humility are valued as highly as technical skills. We believe shared ownership builds a more resilient company, and we tackle hard problems, together. If that sounds like your dream work environment, we look forward to hearing from you.
Abl Schools Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Abl Schools Company Size
Between 20 - 100 employees
Abl Schools Founded Year
Abl Schools Funding Rounds