Credit Risk Manager - Underwriting - MarqetaView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Credit Risk Manager - Underwriting
- Job Location
- Remote, USA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Marqeta is on a mission to change the way money moves. We’re one of the earliest enablers of embedded finance, a market opportunity sized up in the trillions. Our card issuing platform provides unprecedented flexibility and control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions, and manage payment operations in real time. Marqeta is powering the most well known brands in the new economy (Block, Cash App, Affirm, Instacart, Doordash, Uber, Walmart, etc). Today nearly 8 out of 10 Americans use a product powered by Marqeta every week. This is the opportunity of a lifetime to work with innovators around the world and unlock equitable financial access for all.
As Marqeta’s Credit Risk Manager, you will lead our underwriting strategy helping us to launch successful credit programs. You will drive innovation to establish best in class credit strategies and underwriting models. You will work closely with internal stakeholders including Banking, Product, Finance, and Data while partnering and building strong relationships with external bank partners and customers.
What You’ll Do:
- Build, review, and refine Marqeta's consumer and business underwriting models
- Proactively monitor and adjust Marqeta’s credit policies based on performance and risk trends
- Establish credit strategies for our consumer and commercial credit card programs that directly drive KPIs, i.e., approval rates, new accounts, loss rate, profit margin etc.
- Draft underwriting and risk documentation, work with bank partners on model validation and governance, and report KPIs to senior management on a regular basis
- Partner with product to build modern credit stacks and data strategy leveraging financial, bank, and third party datasets, to enable underwriting automation with big data.
- Provide risk consulting services to our bank partners and customers, recommending improvements to credit strategies
What We’re Looking For
- 6+ years of experience in credit underwriting, fintechs preferred
- Experience partnering with product and finance teams to bring best-in-class credit strategies and solutions to market
- Expertise in Excel and SQL modeling
- Experience in any one of the following:
- data science modeling (e.g., strong programming and data analytics experience in R or Python),
- capital markets (e.g., ABS, securitization, warehouse lines), or
- fraud management
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent college-level education in Finance, Business, Accounting, Economics, Statistics, Math or similar fields
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and adapt to changing priorities
- Application submission
- Recruiter phone call
- Hiring manager video call
- Virtual “Onsite”3 - 45 minute interviews
Compensation and Benefits
Marqeta is a Flex First company which allows you to choose your best working environment, whether that be from home or at a company office. To support Flex First, we calibrate pay to a competitive value according to working location. Compensation is aligned according to three tiers within the United States:
- National: A baseline tier that applies to most of the geographic territory of the United States.
- Premium: Slightly elevated from the National tier, and oriented toward a narrower set of higher cost-of-living areas, such as Los Angeles CA and Seattle WA
- Premium Plus: A tier for the most expensive working areas, like the San Francisco Bay area and New York City.
Visit this page or consult with a Recruiter to determine which tier would be applicable to you.
When determining salaries, we consider several factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior experience, and work location. The new-hire base salary range for this position is:
- National: $101,625 - $135,500
- Premium: $114,375 - $152,500
- Premium Plus: $127,050 - $169,400
We also believe in recognizing the contributions of our people. That's why we award annual bonuses to eligible employees, rewarding both individual performance and the success of the entire company.
Along with monetary compensation, Marqeta offers
- Multiple health insurance options
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Equity in a publicly-traded company and an Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Family-forming benefits, fertility support, and up to 20 weeks of Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial and professional coaching, and legal advice
- Monthly stipend to support our remote work model
- Annual “development dollars” to support our people growth and development
Equal Opportunity, Accommodations, and Privacy
Marqeta is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that gives consideration to all qualified applicants, irrespective of any characteristics protected by law. This includes (but is not limited to) race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, color, ancestry, and Veteran status. We consider qualified applicants from all backgrounds, without regard to criminal histories, in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion extends beyond the categories above. Review Marqeta’s ESG Report to see that dedication in action. Fostering an environment where everyone feels valued and respected creates a stronger and more innovative team at Marqeta. We celebrate the unique contributions of each individual and empower all members of our organization. Join us in building a company where diversity thrives and everyone can be their authentic selves.
If you require reasonable accommodation for the application process and beyond, please submit this form and we will be more than happy to assist you. Marqeta will make reasonable accommodations for candidates when needed in accordance with applicable law. The Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.
Marqeta Headquarters Location
Marqeta Company Size
Between 500 - 2,000 employees
Marqeta Founded Year
Marqeta Total Amount Raised
Marqeta Funding RoundsView funding details