Coordinator, Los Angeles Programs - BeamView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Coordinator, Los Angeles Programs
- Job Location
- Los Angeles, California
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
The mission of BEAM is to create pathways for students from low-income and historically marginalized communities to become scientists, mathematicians, engineers, and computer scientists. Led by staff with these same technical backgrounds, BEAM believes that pathways to STEM careers are created through community, individual support, and access to advanced work that typically lies outside most school curricula. We work to directly support students and to transition them to other supportive enrichment programs that enable their future success.
BEAM's model provides continuous support from middle school through college graduation, including intense academic summer programs for middle school students (after 6th and 7th grade), weekend classes and mentoring, and STEM-focused support through college. Our program includes not just access to learning advanced math but also support finding and applying to other opportunities, including support with college admissions and financial aid. In addition to our academic content, bringing students into community is a key part of our mission and all of our work is designed to support that goal.
BEAM has grown from a small summer program serving 17 students in the summer of 2011 to a year-round, national program, serving 420+ students at six summer program sites and 600+ students in year-round programming in New York City and Los Angeles this school year. In addition, our BEAM National pilot program now reaches over 500 elementary-aged students in seven different states, working to create a new nationwide pathway modeled on our local work.
With our recent strategic plan, our team has committed to transforming the organization from a successful startup to a more mature and scalable organization that can drive change across the country.
About the role
The Coordinator, Los Angeles Programs is a dynamic and critical role for the success of our Los Angeles Programs team. They are the main point of contact for 8th graders during the school year and assists with the high school application process. Additionally, they are integral to ensuring students remain engaged with BEAM via Saturday classes and making sure students participate in summer programs and other STEM enrichment opportunities throughout the Pathway Program. The Coordinator participates in hiring initiatives for summer Counselor positions, as well as a Site Director for BEAM's residential summer camp, BEAM Summer Away.
COVID-19 Note: Proof of vaccination (and a booster shot when eligible) will be required before working in-person at the office or BEAM events/programming.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Established in 2018 with our first cohort of current High School seniors, the Los Angeles branch of BEAM is excited to continue growing alongside the students we serve. Situated in the Koreatown/Pico-Union Neighborhood, our small team of three Los Angeles long time residents value in-person collaboration as much as independent remote work and recognize that communication is the key to an office culture where every team member can contribute to our shared success.
8th Grade Advising and High School Admission Support (25%)
- Manage event logistics and coordination for student informational sessions
- Assist in executing a communication strategy for students and families about BEAM opportunities, including:
- High school application information and support
- Participate in Saturday classes as needed
- Summer program application support for high-priority enrichment programs
- General academic advising
- Support student enrollment in Algebra 1 or similar classes
- Update content on the BEAM Los Angeles Alumni website via Squarespace
- Maintain student records in Salesforce, including contact information and academic progress
Saturday Programs and Office Hours for Students (10%)
- Communicate weekly with staff and families about program logistical adjustments
- Collaborate with faculty to ensure attendance is collected and follow up with absent students
- Troubleshoot any issues during Saturday programming and escalate to leadership when necessary
Counselor Hiring Support (15%)
- Represent BEAM at recruitment events within the Los Angeles area
- Conduct candidate interviews to ensure alignment with our community values
- Provide administrative support to the counselor hiring manager
- Collaborate with Chief Programs Officer and HR team to recommend improvement to the Counselor hiring process
BEAM Summer Away Site Director (30%)
Under the direction of the Director for LA Programs:
- Supervise the program leadership team, implement program procedures, and troubleshoot the program to ensure it runs smoothly
- Communicate effectively with staff members, students, and families of students at the site to build a positive culture and community
- Lead with empathy and mediate conflicts at the site, including escalated or sensitive student situations and/or interpersonal conflicts between staff members
- Lead wrap-up for your site to collect feedback to inform recommendations for strategic improvements to the program
- Collaborate with other program and site leaders to identify trends across sites
Admissions and Registration Support (20%)
- Conduct in-person visits to partner schools to support student admissions.
- Support Manager of Student Services in:
- family information sessions
- program logistics and registration
- communications to students, including phone/email replies and forms.
- The student application process, including admission challenges, interview coordination, and financial/merit eligibility.
- Developing registration packets, ensuring that materials are accessible and comply with legal requirements
- Managing communications with families and students including:
- Engage with students eligible for the BEAM Summer Away program to encourage their participation.
- Experience with summer enrichment programs, especially those focused on STEM
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal,
- Empathy and demonstrated sensitivity, especially when working with students from diverse backgrounds
- Organization skills with strong attention to detail
- A highly collaborative spirit,
- A knack for solving problems,
- Able to balance logistical details,
Significant pluses may include:
- At least 1 year of experience managing others.
- A proven track record managing a diverse team, inspiring strong performance and professional growth.
- An understanding of academic pathways for middle school students,
- Past work experience with students from the communities we serve,
- Demonstrated commitment to BEAM’s mission and values,
- Knowledge and comfort using the following applications:
- Salesforce or another CRM
- Excel and/or Google Sheets
- A graphic design tool, e.g. Canva or the Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with STEM education, STEM research, or STEM outreach
- Degree or studies in fields related to BEAM's work, such as mathematics, computer science, education, etc.
- Verbal/written Spanish language fluency.
SALARY, BENEFITS AND OTHER DETAILS
The expected salary range for this position is $50,000 - $62,000, depending on experience and background.
- Hybrid (August-May; 3 days remote, Tuesday/Saturday in-person)
- In-person (June and July)
- Tuesday-Saturday, August-May
- Monday-Friday, June and July
BEAM provides a number of benefits including:
- Flexible working hours
- Health, dental and vision benefits including health plan options that are free for individuals
- 12 paid holidays including an office closure
- 15 days of paid annual leave to start, and will increase by one day for each year worked for your first 5 years of employment
- Paid sick leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity/paternity leave
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Student loan reimbursement
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Discounted health club membership
The initial step is to submit your application, including resume and responses to a few short application questions, via our online portal. When your application is complete, we will follow up with next steps,
Next steps in our process will include a short 30-minute phone interview and/or sample projects so we can get to know you and you can show us your work. We believe in the importance of demonstrated ability and providing opportunities that allow candidates to demonstrate their relevant skills for the role throughout our process. The final step of our process is a final interview with the team.
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
For accommodation requests related to the job application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We believe strongly in communication and collaboration. In the spirit of that collaborative atmosphere, we strongly encourage you to ask questions about the position! You can contact email@example.com.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
BEAM believes that our staff, at all levels and across all roles, should represent the backgrounds of the students we serve. We are committed to creating a supportive and inclusive environment. Beyond a commitment to nondiscrimination, we strongly encourage applications from underrepresented and marginalized communities.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
BEAM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status.
Discover job listings, tech companies, startups, investors, job listings, funding rounds, industries, and tech stacks.Get EmployblBook a demo call
Get periodic emails about startups and the tech job market
Employbl Newsletter is about helping you find jobs and understand the tech job market. Read previous issues.
Beam Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Beam Company Size
Between 5 - 10 employees
Beam Founded Year
Beam Total Amount Raised
Beam Funding RoundsView funding details