Constellation Operations Engineer - BlackSkyView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Constellation Operations Engineer
- Job Location
- Seattle, WA
- Job Description
Constellation Operations Engineer
BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. BlackSky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of GEOINT and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open-source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky provides solutions to commercial and government organizations with relevant programs with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), US. Army, and U.S. Air Force Research Labs.
As a part of our Constellation Operations Engineering team, your responsibilities are expected to be wide ranging, spanning many different aspects of the constellation architecture including satellite systems, ground stations, and ground software. Specifically, you will train to operate the satellites while providing recommendations on operations procedure and process improvement from previous space industry experience. In this role, you will help ensure successful on-orbit satellite commissioning by serving on-console during launch and early operations activities. Your efforts to review telemetry and spacecraft logs will lead to anomaly investigation and resolution, as well as execution of routine maintenance across the constellation. You will conduct testing on virtual ground assets to prove concepts of operation and safety of commands before tasking satellites on orbit. With basic Python skills, you will begin contributing to a growing repository of software tools designed to streamline operations, reduce human-error, and optimize constellation performance.
This role will be based in our Seattle, WA office and will need to come into the office on a hybrid basis.
- Rapidly learn our Constellation architecture, including spacecraft bus, flight software, ground network and ground control software throughout BlackSky's training and qualification program.
- Participate in technical efforts for on-orbit operations, including launch and early operations (LEOP), routine maintenance, and anomaly response.
- Investigate anomalies through telemetry trending and review, as well as execute Bench Testing and Maintenance tickets as assigned in Jira.
- Perform daily backroom support activities, including constellation data review, system log review, imaging performance and ground automation performance.
- Participate in operations software tooling development in Python. This includes data trending tools, automated constellation performance review, key performance metrics measurement and analysis, among other things.
- This position requires a rotational on-call support, as well as occasional short-duration 24/7 support, including launch activities and on-console anomaly support when required.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- A Bachelors in Aerospace, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years of experience in a technical engineering field.
- Experience in an operations environment (aerospace, gas/oil, nuclear, energy, manufacturing etc.)
- Familiarity with spacecraft subsystems.
- Minimum of four years of experience in space operations environment (satellites, launch vehicles, ground stations).
- Subject matter expertise in one or more spacecraft subsystems.
- Strong software development skills in Python, with demonstrated experience in data trending projects and user interface development.
Life at BlackSky for full-time benefits eligible employees includes:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, group term life and AD&D, voluntary life, and AD&D insurance
- BlackSky pays 100% of employee-only premiums for medical, dental and vision and contributes $100/month for out-of-pocket expenses!
- 15 days of PTO, 11 Company holidays, four Floating Holidays (pro-rated based on hire date), one day of paid volunteerism leave per year, parental leave and more.
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth deferral options with employer match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance Programs
- Employer matching donations
- Professional development
- Mac or PC? Your choice!
- Awesome swag
The anticipated salary range for candidates in Seattle, WA is $75,000-$110,000 per year. The final compensation package offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on specific background and education. BlackSky is a multi-state employer, and this pay scale may not reflect salary ranges in other states or locations outside of Seattle, WA.
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements:
BlackSky Headquarters Location
BlackSky Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
BlackSky Founded Year
BlackSky Total Amount Raised
BlackSky Funding RoundsView funding details
Post Ipo Equity