Complex Model Manager - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Complex Model Manager
- Job Location
- South San Francisco, California
- Job Description
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an exceptional, highly motivated, and technically talented individual to support our complex in vivo and in vitro model development. The successful candidate will be working as part of a highly skilled team generating genetically modified mouse and cellular models for research, utilizing genome-editing technology in combination with classic genetics approaches such as mouse embryonic stem cells and transgene insertions. The candidate will also work with the team to propel innovative technologies forward by researching and investigating new methods for complex mouse and cell-based model generation.
The successful candidate will play a pivotal role managing all ongoing larger cross-functional technology development projects. As a self-motivated team player, you will be working collaboratively with your colleagues to provide complex model services in a full-scale and fast-paced environment to support 23andMe basic and preclinical research programs.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with therapeutic area leads to develop in vivo and in vitro models to advance our genetics driven drug discovery efforts.
- Build strong relationships within all therapeutic areas to better support research needs.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with internal and external partners to ensure rapid project initiation.
- Track and communicate project progress to collaborators.
- Write development/technical reports, SOPs and test procedures.
- Support data analysis/management and maintain accurate records of research using electronic lab notebook (ELN) platform.
- Adapt to evolving needs internally as well as externally with CRO processes on, bi-directional flow of information, and successful problem solving.
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s (7+ years of industry experience), Master’s (5+ years industry experience) or Ph.D. (2+ years research experience) in molecular biology or related field with a track record of high-quality publications and/or patent applications
- Experience with NGS applications in mouse genetics (Hinch et al. 2019) and with the use of Nanopore sequencing technology, targeted locus amplification, quantitative PCR, and targeted amplicon sequencing to validate correctly gene-edited mice produced with current genome editing methodologies.
- Practical knowledge of quantitative (including digital) PCR platforms, next-generation sequencing, as well as hands-on experience setting up and/or running an automated laboratory.
- Experience managing efficient operations, including ensuring effective business processes and metrics-driven alignment to achieve goals. Excellent planning and prioritization skills with the ability to multitask and adapt.
- Experience delivering genome editing components to cell lines, primary cells and stem cells
- Experience evaluating, implementing, and developing new technology, as well as continued process improvements.
- Highly effective team player and collaborator. Track record of partnering with and engaging others to realize change. Strong comfort working in a matrix environment and leveraging expertise across functions.
- Strong leadership skills and passion for mentorship and career development for team members.
- Collaborative mindset with strong communication skills (both verbal and written), and the ability to effectively present data, write reports and document test procedures.
- Strong desire to learn and troubleshoot technical challenges.
- High ethical integrity and scientific rigor.
- Track record of genetic analysis and automation publications.
- Experience with editing and/or differentiating embryonic or induced pluripotent stem cells
- Experience with organoids and/or co-cultures
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.San Francisco Bay Area Base Pay Range$145,000—$215,999 USD
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Total Amount Raised
23andMe Funding RoundsView funding details
Post Ipo Equity