Assistant General Counsel (Sr. Director), Therapeutics & Research - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Assistant General Counsel (Sr. Director), Therapeutics & Research
- Job Location
- Headquarters - Sunnyvale
- Job Description
The Assistant General Counsel (Sr. Director), Therapeutics & Research assumes responsibility as lead counsel to the Therapeutics and Research teams, serving as strategic advisor to the business on collaborations, business strategy and day-to-day operations. The position reports to the General Counsel & Privacy Officer. This individual must have the legal skills, business acumen, communications skills and experience necessary to drive successful legal and business outcomes, as well as thrive in extremely complex and fast-evolving scenarios.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You’ll Do
- Serve as lead attorney and strategic advisor on ongoing collaborations, business strategy and day-to-day operations for the Therapeutics team (including data management, all stages of research through clinical phase) and Research teams.
- Draft, structure, and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements, including licenses, supply agreements, manufacturing agreements, service agreements, collaboration agreements, data transfer agreements, development agreements, material transfer agreements, nondisclosure agreements, clinical trial agreements, CRO and other vendor agreements.
- Advise the Therapeutics and Research teams on legal, regulatory compliance and contractual matters related to research and drug discovery and development and keep business partners apprised of relevant legal developments, identify training needs and develop and conduct training.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders, including colleagues in Operations, Finance, Engineering, Security, Research Ethics, and Regulatory Affairs as well as work closely with colleagues across the Legal function, including IP and Privacy to identify and communicate risks.
- Support legal due diligence procedures and SEC reporting compliance.
- Work effectively with external counsel, wherever appropriate, and supervise their work.
What You’ll Bring
- Technical scientific and legal expertise to support complex collaboration and licensing agreements, supply, CRO, pharma/biotech research and development activities, clinical trial agreements and data transfer agreements.
- Experience in daily counseling of research and drug discovery and development teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communicator; delivers concise and clear advice that exhibits strong business judgment and ability to influence others.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, able to and thrives handling multiple projects under tight timelines simultaneously.
- Proven ability to network and build strong working relationships to encourage the routine engagement of counsel.
- Adaptable and seeks new ways of working and finding unique solutions to overcome business challenges.
- Keep informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends affecting drug discovery and development and assist with development of policies and procedures as needed.
- Self-starter with ability to get things done autonomously and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated analytical skills as well as the ability to take disparate information and make strategic recommendations quickly.
- At least 10 years of in-house corporate legal and/or law firm experience that includes: 5+ years of in-house biotech/biopharma experience; and 3+ years of R&D support relating to a biotech/biopharma drug discovery and development.
- JD from an accredited law school in the US and active member of at least one state bar.
- Strong scientific background, including undergraduate degree, in biochemistry, molecular biology, or related science and substantial transactional experience drafting agreements involving biotechnology, biopharmaceutical, or related subject matter.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Funding Rounds
Post Ipo Equity