Assistant Controller - Kairos PowerView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Assistant Controller
- Job Location
- Alameda, CA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Kairos Power is a new nuclear energy technology and engineering company whose mission is to enable the world’s transition to clean energy, with the ultimate goal to dramatically improve people’s quality of life while protecting the environment. This goal will be accomplished through the commercialization of the fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (FHR) that can be deployed with robust safety, affordable costs, and flexible operation to accommodate the expansion of variable renewables.
Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller takes an active role in Kairos Power’s close process, financial operations, and financial projects. In doing so, you will collaborate with leaders across the company from Engineering, Operations, and Strategy to provide key business insights to financial analysis to assist with business decisions made by the company. This position requires someone who is adaptable, flexible in a fast-paced environment and committed to supporting cross functional teams across multiple locations.
- Partner with the Controller to develop strategic roadmaps and team planning to support changes in the company as it scales in both size and complexity.
- Oversee Finance department operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, tax, and general ledger.
- Coordinate company Finance operational changes, drive process improvement, and partner with cross-functional teams.
- Direct and review the monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial statement close process. Design, refine, and optimize month-end close procedures. Ensure timeliness.
- Represent Accounting and serve as a key point of contact within the company.
- Manage audit processes and execution by the Accounting team.
- Manage relationships with outsourced accounting firms.
- Review Accounting workpapers and journal entries.
- Review technical accounting areas and define new accounting flows.
- Implement/update company policies.
- Respond to internal and external stakeholder inquiries.
- Proactively look forward to new company capital projects, plan for company reporting needs, and coordinate changes to financial operational systems/integrations.
- Submit state, local tax, and other incentives via required filings.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Establish and maintain necessary internal controls.
- Coordinate tax filings.
- Partner with Finance and support budget vs. actual analysis.
- Provide insights and analysis to support strategic decision-making.
- Perform tasks or projects as assigned by the Controller.
- Provide clear direction, set goals, and ensure accountability among the team and reports. Establish a vision for the department, define objectives, and effectively communicate expectations to Accounting Managers.
- Foster a sense of teamwork and collaboration within the accounting department. Encourage cross-functional collaboration, create a strong team dynamic, enhance efficiency and productivity.
- Promote communication within the department. Schedule meetings, encourage meaningful discussions, collaborate on documents and files, and provide regular updates on the team’s work.
- Take a proactive role in managing the workload of the department. Participate in and oversee the completion of the team's tasks, review significant work products and processes, and demonstrate accountability for project management. Ensure work is appropriately allocated, reviewed, and completed to high standards.
- Conduct meaningful one-on-one meetings with reports, provide guidance, and support their development. Assign relevant work assignments, provide opportunities for growth, and engage in performance conversations to ensure ongoing improvement. Demonstrate commitment to the professional development of the accounting team.
- Lead accounting teams and managers (General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Payroll, etc.).
- Provide guidance, direction, and support to accounting teams.
- Interview, hire, and train employees; plan, assign, and direct work; appraise performance; reward and discipline employees; address complaints and resolve problems.
- Coordinate/facilitate cross-functional efforts across multiple teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- 10+ years of accounting experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Impeccable managerial and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from the manager to accomplish objectives.
- Ability to problem solve quickly and efficiently.
- Able to thrive in a very fast-paced environment and be assertive when needed.
- Experience driving new processes or work that involves multiple stakeholders and user groups.
- Demonstrated ability to be a strong business partner with high energy and a hands-on approach.
- Demonstrated history of acting and leading with unwavering professionalism and integrity.
- Strong analytical skills, with expertise in building and managing complex Excel templates.
- Committed to high standards of accuracy and precision.
- Ability to multitask and meet assigned deadlines.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- GAAP knowledge.
- Versatility, flexibility, and willingness to adapt job responsibilities as required to meet the demands and opportunities of a rapidly growing company.
- Mix of Big 4/Big 8 audit experience and private company experience.
- Experience working in the Accounting function in a fast-paced environment.
- Preferably experience in a high-growth technology sector, specifically in hardware.
- Proficient use and management of accounting software (e.g., NetSuite, Coupa, Tableau).
- Manufacturing Experience.
- Cost Accounting Experience.
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant).
- Ability to work with highly collaborative team.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and efficiently.
- Prioritizes and ensures safety of one self and others.
- Ability to proactively collect, manage and transfer knowledge.
- Ability to seek different and novel ways to create efficiencies when working on problems, challenges and issues.
- Travel may be required, up to 10%
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods.
- General office environment.
Safety and PPE
- Reading and interpreting hazardous warning signs
- Occasionally requires working weekends
- Occasionally requires schedule flexibility
- Seldom requires non-standard work-week hours
- Occasionally requires extended hours to support launch and critical project timelines
The salary range for this position is $170,000 to $212,600 for employees working onsite at our Alameda, CA headquarters. The range provided in this job posting represents the typical range or starting rate of candidates hired in California. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include your education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, the market data for your work location, and a comparison to other employees already in the role.
About our Benefits
We know that we have some of the most talented and dedicated employees, and we believe in rewarding them accordingly. If you work here, full-time employees (excludes interns) expect to have access to the benefits below:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and their dependents
- Paid Vacation
- 401(k) and pre-tax health insurance, dependent care, and commuter benefits (FSA)
Kairos Power is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the communities where we do business. Kairos Power is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We actively welcome people of different experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Kairos Power participates in E-Verify.
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies please.
Note: You are applying for a position that is located in a facility that handles information that is subject to export control restrictions by the Department of Energy under 10 CFR Part 810. To work in this facility, you need to be authorized by the Department of Energy to access Part 810-controlled information. Foreign nationals who are citizens of countries that are not on the Department of Energy’s general authorization list (link below) are not permitted to work in our facility unless the Department of Energy issues an export control license to the company to permit that individual to have access to Part 810-controlled information. The following questions are intended to determine the licensing requirements that may apply. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/10/appendix-A_to_part_810
Kairos Power Headquarters Location
Kairos Power Company Size
Between 100 - 500 employees
Kairos Power Founded Year
Kairos Power Total Amount Raised
Kairos Power Funding RoundsView funding details