Advanced Process Modeling Engineer - HeliogenView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Advanced Process Modeling Engineer
- Job Location
- Pasadena/Long Beach, CA OR Houston, TX
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
About this role:
We are seeking an experienced, highly skilled and motivated thermal process modeling and transient simulation specialist to join our System Simulation team. As a specialist in this role, you will play a critical role in the design, analysis, and optimization of transient processes and component which make up our thermal systems, particularly our Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) systems. Your expertise in modeling and simulating transient behavior in thermal processes will be instrumental in advancing our organization's sustainable energy initiatives.
This is a hybrid role (2-3 days a week onsite) in either Pasadena, CA , Long Beach, CA or Houston, TX
In this role, you will:
- Developing detailed mathematical models of thermal systems, including heat transfer mechanisms, fluid dynamics, and phase changes, using advanced software and simulation tools.
- Conducting transient simulations to analyze the dynamic behavior of thermal systems under varying conditions, such as changing weather patterns, solar flux, and energy demand fluctuations as well as state changes and control strategies.
- Collaborating with the process design group and other cross-functional teams to contribute to the design and optimization of CSP systems.
- Evaluating the performance of proposed CSP systems at different design stages and fidelities, analyzing efficiency, energy output, and other key metrics to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Validating simulation results to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the models.
- Preparing technical reports, presentations, and documentation detailing simulation results, methodologies, and recommendations for stakeholders and management.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and contribute to a positive work environment. Demonstrate strong technical leadership skills by guiding and inspiring other team members, while fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical or mechanical engineering, or a related field with a focus on thermal sciences.
- Process engineering experience designing thermal or chemical systems
- Familiarity with thermal and power systems, having demonstrated experience in thermal system modeling, transient simulation, and energy systems analysis.
- Proficiency in using simulation software such as APROS, Aspen, Modelon-Modelica or other relevant tools for thermal system modeling and analysis.
- Strong familiarity with programming languages such as Python and MATLAB for implementing numerical methods and automating simulation processes.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to interpret complex data and draw actionable insights from simulation results.
- Experience structuring work flow, relationship and interface management.
- Previous work experience in Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) or other transient thermal processes is highly advantageous.
- History of inspiring others while fostering a culture of continuous learning and professional development.
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.
Heliogen Headquarters Location
Heliogen Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
Heliogen Founded Year
Heliogen Total Amount Raised
Heliogen Funding RoundsView funding details
Post Ipo Equity