Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What we are looking for:
- An experienced Android developer who has shipped multiple apps on the Google Play store used by a large audience
- A self-starter who is able to work independently, as well as collaborate across teams to ensure the highest quality product is shipped to our students
- Someone who is adept at working very closely with product and design teams
- A strong individual contributor with a solid understanding of build systems and infrastructure for Android
- A proactive individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment
Responsibilities of the role:
- Lead development efforts of the Android team
- Expand the Android development ecosystem across multiple devices and platforms
- Research, analyze, and test cutting-edge concepts while keeping current on the latest Android developments and pushing the limits of what is possible in a mobile UI
- Mentor junior developers
- 5-8+ years of experience developing, shipping and maintaining native Android apps
- Expert level knowledge in Android development, with a deep understanding of Android core frameworks
- Strong leadership experience: Leading meetings, presenting, technical go-to person, and cross-functional leader
- Excellent communication skills: Demonstrated ability to explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Have experience in mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering best engineering practices.
- Understanding of software design patterns and Android design patterns
- 3+ years experience with web services (consuming or creating) with REST
- History of shipping consumer-focused apps that users love on the Play Store, you can show what you've owned
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Experience working closely with product and design
- Ability to work full-time in our San Francisco office
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
Nice to haves:
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with popular 3rd party libraries, frameworks, and services like RxJava, Retrofit, Dagger, Crashlytics, and Amplitude, including when not to use one
- Familiarity with Material design principles and components
- Some experience with A/B testing
- Experience working on Video or Audio streaming apps
- Hands-on experience with Kotlin is a plus!
- Strong eye for beautiful design and user experience
- You are data-driven and dedicated to thorough testing to maintain high-quality software.
- Expertise with Unit & Integration Testing
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.