About Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a nonprofit on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of high-quality instructional and practice resources that empowers learners and the teachers who support them. Whether they’re studying metaphors, mitosis, Marbury v. Madison, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
Khan Academy is looking for passionate software engineers to help change the world. We’ve built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Mozilla, and Intuit, as well as folks from tiny startups and developers from non-traditional backgrounds. Together, we’re a team that is deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
About the Role
As a Senior Quality Engineer at Khan Academy, you’ll be deep in development doing test planning, extensive test development, test automation, and test execution in support of project goals in collaboration with others in the Quality team. In addition, you’ll be working closely with product and support teams so you're able to advocate for the best possible experience for our users. Someone with a strong combination of automation, test development at all levels (frontend/backend, white/black box) and communication will excel in this role.
What You’ll Do:
- Embed within a single product team to own test development and execution while balancing engineering priorities with user needs
- Use creativity & deep field knowledge to find, document, and track bugs
- Communicate with stakeholders so the most crucial user-facing issues are prioritized
- Extend e2e test suite using Selenium, Appium, XCTest and in-house developed frameworks.
- Build new test automation where it is lacking
- Embrace, champion, and extend an ethos of quality software development through an organization measured with shipping beats perfection
You can read about our latest work on our Engineering Blog. A few highlights:
- 7+ years of relevant experience, including software product development, practical experience in automation tools (e.g. Selenium)
- 5+ years of hands-on, demonstrable experience testing mobile (iOS & Android) applications using mobile test automation tools (e.g. Appium)
- Experience developing code and working in a UNIX/Linux environment and using virtual machines or containers.
- Familiar with software development tools, Eclipse, Intellij , GIT source control.
- Strong understanding of all software testing methodologies, architectures and tools.
- Comfortable to develop tests in any language consistent with the engineering team.
- Can integrate testing into an automated CI/CD pipeline e.g. Jenkins
- Good documentation and communication skills so that you can coordinate with current testing efforts to grow and improve our testing processes
- An unencumbered glee and exceptional proclivity for breaking things
- A passion for software and engaging learning experiences, as well as desire to change the world
- An ability to work across the team, including educators, designers, engineers, product managers, to improve our product quality and reliability
- A great intuition for how users like to learn and obstacles that could stand in their way. You have the motivation and courage to tackle any new subject you put your mind to, and not let go until you've mastered it
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field; or equivalent experience.
About our benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBTQ+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply:
- Attach your resume to the job posting on our Khan Careers page
- Briefly describe your experience building backend web services that deal with large volumes of requests per second.
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: We believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team’s experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives - whether personal, professional, academic, or in your own classroom - would contribute to the diversity of our team and our ability to understand and address the needs of all learners.
- Links to projects or previous work. We especially like living, breathing projects, demos, or commentaries on your work. Please don’t just send code – show or tell us why you wrote it, what it’s for, what you like about it, how it helps someone, etc. No project is too small if it’s something you care about. If you're feeling especially creative feel free to include a link to a project that you've built on our programming platform.
- If you’d like to provide a more traditional cover letter addressing your interest in KA (in addition to the diversity-based response), please feel free to attach that below.
To learn more about our work:
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.