Discord's Machine Learning team is a mix of systems engineers, machine learning engineers and data scientists. Our mission is to use state-of-the-art machine learning techniques to build ML applications across Discord's product surfaces and infrastructure. Since we're still a small team, we also build and operate the tools we use as well as the infrastructure to label data, create features, train, evaluate and serve both online and offline models. We work on a range of problems that involve classification, scoring, ranking, textual understanding, and spam detection.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Manager to lead our Machine Learning team to help us scale to the next level. As a manager reporting to the Director of Data Platform, you will have significant leadership and outsize influence on the evolution of Discord's machine learning systems and applications.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you'll be doing
- Build and operate the tools we use as well as the infrastructure to label data, create features, train, evaluate and serve both online and offline models.
- Build and lead a team of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Build the vision and roadmap for the Machine Learning team by working with your team and partners across the company.
- Manage processes and use your technical expertise to continually ensure that your team achieves extraordinary results.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
What you should have
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed a team of 5+ Software Engineers.
- You're a mentor, storyteller, and you're great at coordinating with a variety of teams throughout the company.
- You excel in undefined environments and get excited about finding solutions to complex technical challenges, and then building them.
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking.
- You've worked with complex distributed machine learning systems deployed at scale.
- You keep up with the industry trends and continuously identify new tools to use to solve technical problems.
- Experience with ML libraries/frameworks like TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras or XGBoost
- Experience with modern cloud platforms like Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services
- Experience working with modern data technologies (Spark, Hive, Kafka, Beam, or Airflow)
- Experience hiring for fast-growing startups
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.