Who We Are
Nuro is a robotics start-up whose mission is to accelerate the benefits of robotics for everyday life. We have an elite team of entrepreneurs and engineers, designers, and scientists. We believe AI and robotics are at the cusp of transforming daily life and we are dedicated to building meaningful products with this technology. Join us and play a critical role in our mission.
About the role
As the harness mechanical engineer, you will be responsible for conceptualizing, designing, and achieving production of harnesses for our in-house vehicle fleet and related systems.
About the Work
- Own the mechanical and thermal design and integration of the compute assembly and enclosure.
- Collaborate closely with electrical and layout engineers on PCBA design and assembly.
- Lead efforts to ruggedize novel electrical systems for robustness in a wide array of environmental conditions.
- Work with top-tier suppliers to customize, integrate, and assemble stock subcomponents.
- Manage designed parts and assemblies through validation testing and initial volume production.
- Ability to own the entire harness design process: from architecture, to device transmittal, to wiring schematic, 3D and 2D design, manufacturing, and validation testing.
- Experience working in low-volume prototype environments. Able to work on the floor with technicians during build events to identify issues, and rapidly iterate solutions.
- Experience with troubleshooting harness failures, and knowledge of common failure modes and resolutions.
- Experience collaborating with in-house and outside suppliers to communicate design requirements, incorporate DFM feedback, manage initial production runs, perform failure analysis, and oversee validation testing.
- Experience working with current harness manufacturing standards (IPC-WHMA-A-620 or equivalent).
- 1+ year industry experience in CAD design required. Experience with NX is a plus.
- 1+ year industry experience in creating harness schematics and drawings. Experience with Capital or equivalent is a plus.
- Willing and able to support periodic domestic and international travel.
- Self-starter with strong organizational, multi-tasking, and project management skills. Relentlessly resourceful, with a bias towards action.
- Experience using a wide range of manufacturing processes from low to high volume, such as rapid prototyping, sheet metal, injection molding, machining, and casting.
- Experience designing for a wide range of materials with ability to optimize for cost, weight, strength/durability, and thermals, using both FEA and hand calculations.
- Experience in electronics, mechatronics, or robotics, including basic EE or FW fundamentals.
- Experience with automotive sub-assembly design and integration.
- Experience with PCBA manufacturing processes and limitations.
At Nuro, we celebrate differences and are committed to a diverse workplace that fosters inclusion and psychological safety for all employees. Nuro is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and expressly prohibits any form of workplace discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.