At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from electrical and mechanical engineers, physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and more. It is a super exciting time to join GenapSys as we recently launched our first product which is generating a tremendous amount of interest.
About the Role:
We are seeking an experienced, strategic and multi-faceted General Counsel to be a member of the company’s senior leadership team, to manage all legal aspects of the company, and to counsel the company’s senior team and Board on the full range of legal and business matters.
- Provide counsel to all levels of management and build collaborative relationships with management on the business environment, challenges, and corporate objectives.
- Oversee the building of legal operations to effectively serve contract needs, prioritize tasks, and integrate with other company-wide systems.
- Provide counsel and advise on legal liabilities associated with many areas of the business (i.e. M&A, employment law, sales agreements, leases, international expansion, system tooling, company policies, corporate finance, partnerships, etc.).
- Lead legal review of corporate governance and public reporting matters.
- Evaluate risks impacting business decisions and anticipate unique legal issues that could impact the company.
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (i.e. regulators, external counsel, vendors, etc.).
- Oversee the organization's policies on industry-specific issues, corporate governance or regulatory affairs and all required compliance audits.
- Ensure GenapSys' continued compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Manage in-house Legal, Compliance & Privacy and CISO teams.
- Juris Doctorate degree from respected law school, and registration to practice before the USPTO.
- California Bar membership preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in a top tier law firm and with significant in-house experience, at GC level, or Associate GC level with significant responsibilities and demonstrated growth.
- Proven experience as legal counsel in high tech commercial environment with experience in life sciences preferred.
- Experience avoiding, managing and/or resolving litigation and other disputes.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience collaborating with teams across wide ranging disciplines to solve problems.
- Broad corporate legal experience, including domestic and international compliance requirements, privacy and information security, M&A and corporate governance
- Strong negotiating skills with both legal and financial/commercial issues
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures
- Proven business acumen, with ability to advise and guide company leadership in broad range of business and legal areas.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment in a highly collaborative environment.
GenapSys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any GenapSys employee. GenapSys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees absent a formal agreement.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!