At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for engineering managers to help us scale. Our engineering managers and engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. They move fast and ship code to production continuously, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean.
Our engineering managers are people with varying technical backgrounds and interests -- some are involved in the technical details of their team and others provide general technical direction and oversight. As managers, our job is to keep teams efficient and executing on the right goals. We build teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
The Data Infrastructure teams at Lyft are building and scaling for the future of rideshare and Lyft’s place in that world. We process and ensure that events flowing through Lyft’s pipelines can be accessed and utilized by all of Lyft’s employees by running battle-tested open-source software such as Hive, Presto, and Druid. From executives to data scientists the power of our services impacts all facets of how Lyft is able to make fast decisions.
We’re looking for individuals with a strong bias for action, can work with ambiguous goals, help guide their teams through the ever-changing rideshare landscape, and can keep their eye on the prize to deliver on the most impactful work Lyft needs.
- Lead a team of talented managers and engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Work with your managers, engineers and/or product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available products that delight our passengers and drivers
- Help your team build relationships across functions with Support, Marketing, Ops, BizDev, or other teams to ensure Lyft’s continuing success
- As the engineering lead for a platform team, work closely with the various partner teams to understand and align with their roadmaps and goals to maximize your team’s impact
- You have a technical background in the Apache Hive and / or Apache Druid and Presto compute technologies
- You are able to lead, contribute, and help align teams in planning and design discussions
- You are steadfastly focused on your customers, whether they are drivers, passengers, or other Lyft employees
- You have experience leading a team of engineering managers and engineers successfully helping guide them through their career development
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment and are committed to driving projects to completion
- You motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership and accountability in your team
- You have experience leading teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
- You think ahead, align, and build for the future through articulated and succinct vision and strategy documents
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.