Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
=We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What we are looking for:
- Highly analytical mindset with a strong attention to detail
- Experience implementing and operationalizing systems and processes related to tracking and validating content costs
- Desire to provide improved visibility to the business
- A collaborative spirit
- Willingness to tackle business challenges that may be out of one’s comfort zone
- A strong technical accounting background with an ability to eloquently communicate key accounting principles to business partners
- Passionate curiosity about the business and our mission
Responsibilities of the role:
- Develop and scale the Content Accounting team (people, systems, etc)
- Own the monthly close process, including posting journal entries, reconciling activity and reporting on a per class basis
- Build the necessary tracking infrastructure to provide detailed and regular visibility into content costs for both launched and unlaunched classes (including necessary labor/overhead allocations)
- Maintain the company’s ASC 926 memorandum as the business explores new content formats; educate business partners on the impact of new content initiatives on GAAP financial performance
- Oversee and improve revenue forecasting and re-forecasting methodologies that drive asset amortization
- Implement and maintain necessary financial systems, working cross-functionally with the Content team to ensure data is accurate and audit ready
- Establish, maintain, and continually improve accounting policies and related internal controls
- Support with external audit requirements
- Support the team on ad-hoc projects and analysis
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or other finance-related field
- 5+ years of overall accounting experience with recent experience in a managerial role
- 2+ years of relevant experience should be within a comparable industry (SVOD, etc)
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills, including advanced excel skills
- Experience with Intacct, Netsuite or comparable ERP systems a plus
- Advanced technical knowledge of ASC 920/926
- Big 4 experience preferred
- CPA license a strong plus
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.